Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Carrot cake

A friend Lisa sent me this recipe and I thought I'd try it to serve as part of the taster's table at my wheat class. Of course, I had to change it a bit, because I always try and cut the fat from oil in any recipe I can. But you can do whatever you like.
2 c sugar (or honey)- I used a little less
4 eggs
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 c raw grated carrots
1/2 c oil or applsauce
2 c whole wheat flour
2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 c chopped nuts (you can omit if you have nut free people)

Mix sugar, applesauce (or oil) and eggs. Sift dry ingredients into mixture. Add carrots and nuts. bake in a greased 9x12" or 9x13" pan at 325 for 30-35 mins.
Frost with your favortie cream cheese frosting. I use the canned frosting when I am in a pinch!

Cream cheese frosting
1 lb powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
2 t vanilla
1/2 c butter (softened)
Mix together until smooth and spread on cooled cake.

My kids are requesting this for birthday cakes now. I am working on trying this with the dry carrots from the dry pack cannery. I will report if it turned out or not. I have great taste testers, but am always looking for more.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Suzi you always make me hungry! Is there an easy way to print all of these? Thanks for doing this and helping me keep my family healthy!

    ReplyDelete