Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Suzi's Whole Wheat Flax seed bread

This recipe in it's original form came from a friend . I wanted to add ground flax seed instead of oil to the recipe and I learned a few tricks along the way from other people I have met.
Turn on oven to 350.
Start with 8 cups of whole wheat and grind into flour *You want the freshest ground flour*
and grind 1 c. of oats (regular or quick)
Grind 1 c. of flax seed in a blender (NEVER EVER put flax seed in a grinder).
In a mixing bowl:
the ground flax seed
2 T yeast
2 T lecithin granules (you can omit)
1 1/2 T salt
1/2 c honey
5 1/2 c. warm water (not too hot)
2 T lemon juice (room temp and not fresh squeezed)
add 6 c. of flour 1 cup at a time and mix with a mixer with a dough hook!

add 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
6 c. of the whole wheat flour
1 c. of any kind of regular flour
knead until dough stick together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Coat a large bowl (I use a Tupperware, "That's a bowl") with spray oil and gather up all the dough and place in the bowl. Knead together and then turn over the dough to coat the outside of the dough. Place in a warm place for 30-45 mins. cover and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and divide into 3 loaves. Spray the loaf pans (I use the Pampered Chef Stoneware loaf pans) with spray oil and place each loaf in a pan, cover and let rise again for about 20 mins. bake at 350 until lightly brown and when tapped LIGHTLY, sounds hollow, about 25 mins.
Remove from oven and let cool.

*You can use a large ziploc bag to keep the bread and it does freeze well.
*You can knead in raisins and cinnamon to make cinnamon raisin bread.

A friend of mine has a brain tumor and when he has chemo, this is one of the only things he can keep down. He craves this bread and I will make it for him as long as he needs it!

If you have problems with baking bread, think about ruining Rhodes rolls, like me. I am a reformed Rhodes roll ruiner! I think having the right tools is a must.

4 comments:

  1. We have already made two batches. Yummy! If you have other people who are really good with food storage you can get them on your blog and they can post too. That way you wouldn't have to do the whole thing. Thanks for the great class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love your bread! I do have a question about the flax seed. Ryan and use it a lot but we grind it in a coffee grinder. (Purchased only for flax seed) Why should we only use a blender? Oh and could I get a copy of that other lady's bread too? Thanks for all the hard work you do for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malissa, The coffee grinder will work. Not many people I know have a coffee grinder.
    I will post Kenna's recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your recipe very much. I have a flax seed grinder but will the coffee grinder work?

    ReplyDelete