Friday, February 13, 2009

How do you store some basics

Eggs- have a shelf life refrigerated for about 21 days. If you find a great sale on eggs, you can freeze them for about 6 months in a ziploc baggie. You do have to crack them and get all the air out, but you have real eggs instead of either powdered eggs or none at all. If you like to bake, this is a great way to save the eggs!
Butter- Freezing butter is a simple was to keep butter in your food storage, short term. I try to rotate butter every 6 months or less from the freezer.
Bread- freeze it! I try to have a loaf of homemade bread in the freezer just incase I don't feel like baking bread. It tends to be a bit drier once it's thawed, but edible for sure.
Milk- Some people freeze gallons of it, but I have never had good luck freezing it and then thawing in the fridge. Maybe my kids just won't drink it slushy. LOL. Maybe they are milk snobs...oh yeah, that's what they are!

2 comments:

  1. Butter can be canned and then has a shelf life of a year.Monique knows how.Maybe it is Lisa took the same workshop as I did. Pure gelatin is a substitute of eggs. I am not home so I can't get to my sheet. Great start at this blog Suzi!!! Keep it coming!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to use applesauce instead of oil and have used baby prunes and yogurt too...in baking items like brownies and cakes and some cookies and muffins.
    And I freeze applesauce too.

    I have heard the canning butter thing but never tried it...
    Mayo is good for an oil replacement too, IN SOME things!

    ReplyDelete