Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kenna's Lighter Bread

A special Thank You to Kenna Holm for giving me this recipe! It makes 2 loaves.

3 ½ c whole wheat flour
1/3 c gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
1 ½ T yeast
2 ½ c steaming hot tap water (120-130 degrees)
1 T salt
1/3 c oil
1/3 c honey or ½ c sugar
1 ¼ T bottled lemon juice
2 ½ c whole wheat flour
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together first 3 ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook. Add water all at once and mix for 1 min. cover and let rest for 10 mins. Add salt, oil, honey (or sugar) and lemon juice and beat for 1 min. Add last flour 1 c at a time, beating between each cup. Beat for about 6-10 mins. Until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This makes the dough very soft.
Turn dough onto oiled counter top (or bowl), divide, shape into loaves and place in a warm spot ( stove top might be warm enough), until dough reaches top of pan and bake for 30 mins. At 350.
Tap lightly and listen for a hollow sound and look for a light brown color.
****Instead of placing dough in bread pans, to rise, I put the dough in a large oiled bowl and let rise, then I punched down and divided and rolled into loaves and then placed them into bread pans and let rise for 20 mins. Then I placed in oven and baked.
Suzi’s disclaimer…I used to RUIN RHODES ROLLS (“Hockey puck” was a good description), so when I learned about turning my oven on when I started my grinding process, I never had issues again with hockey pucks or bread not rising. So I always let my bread rise twice. YOU can try it anyway. Be patient, don’t try to hurry bread. Have fun and find what works best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment