Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rotating...means EATING

Why would you buy any type of food storage and then let it sit on a shelf and never use it? It's just wasted money and who wants to waste money these days?
So learning to rotate (um eat) your food storage is pretty simple. If you use 2 cans of something, make sure when you go shopping again (either monthly or a major shopping trip), buy 4 cans. Place these cans to the back of the shelf.
I know a lot of people like to write the date they purchase something on the box or can with a Sharpie marker. This is a great idea, and very useful. I store my cereal boxes and cake mix boxes (yes I do have cold cereal and cake mixes in my storage), so I can read the expiration date on the end of the box. I try to use the boxes at the bottom first.
Find what works best for you and if you discover something that works better, keep it up.
If you find you have a lot of cereal stored and it is close to expiring (even if it has missed the date), it is still usually okay to eat, but the food value diminishes. I am talking about canned and boxed items, not refrigerated.
I have come up with some recipes using items just sitting on my shelf... Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, saw this from the LDS board on BBC. Just wanted to say how SO HAPPY! I am that you have this.. Me and my hubby have been trying to figure out how to start a food storage! I am so glad you have all that info! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete