Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wheat Tortillas

I have struggled with making tortillas for a couple years. The recipes I have all call for "shortening", which I really don't like to use (aka hard shortening) and I have used butter in the past. It was just not "right". I thought I would try some olive oil.
And I am SO impressed with myself! LOL. I love to experiment with recipes, so I need to give myself a BIG atagirl.

So here is my revised recipe. I hope you try it and and enjoy it!
Wheat Tortillas
1 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
pinch or 2 of baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 T olive oil
3-5 oz warm water
Mix together the flours, salt and baking powder. Stir in the oil and then add the water a little at a time and knead until smooth. Divide into 8-10 balls (a little bigger than a golf ball) and LET REST 10 mins.(this is very important to let the gluten start working and hold it all together). Roll into very thin circles with a rolling pin or use a tortilla press (HINT!! need a new tool). Cook in a very hot pan (without oil) until lightly flecked on both sides, about 30 seconds a side. Immediately place in a Ziplock bag to steam.
Store in the refrigerator. You can double this recipe!!
Thanks Jennifer Morgan for the original recipe

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this recipe! I need to start making my own because my daughter is allergic to milk, and store-bought tortillas have milk in them!

    ReplyDelete