Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Now that I have it Wheat do I do with it?

When people think about food storage, one of the first things to come to mind is WHEAT. Why wheat? Wheat is one of the best and most versitle grains and can last many years. The many things you can do with wheat:
Sprout it...so from a grain you can grow a vegetable! There has been a lot of controversy about canning wheat in a #10 can with the oxygen absorber pack and it not being able to sprout. Some people use bay leaves in the white buckets so the wheat can sprout (and the weviles don't get into the wheat) . I personally have not tried sprouting but plan to. I buy my wheat by the bag and fill a white bucket and use a gamma lid, because I use a lot of wheat. It is just personal preference.
Cook it- Cook it in a crockpot overnight on low and have a HEARTY hot wheat cereal in the morning. The leftovers can be dried out and popped in hot oil and sprinkled with season salt, garlic salt or whatever you like. The popped wheat is best fresh, as it sits it gets soggy.
Grind it- into flour and add it in recipes that call for flour. Bread is the obvious choice, but cookies, brownies, cold cereal, carrot cake, etc. I will warn you...if your family is not used to eating alot of whole wheat, go slow, use half whole wheat and half regular flour. We need to be careful and not upset too many tummies.
Make meat- Gluten is pretty easy to make and if you have the patience, kind of fun. I will post more gluten info later.

So wheat is very versitle and important to have in every family's food storage, even if you don't think you will need it or use it. If you don't have a grinder, there are people that do and might let you grind some wheat to make a recipe of something. Just ask around.

I taught a class on Wheat just recently and was overwhelmed by the response. I had cooked and baked a variety of foods using my foodstorage. The next class will be in April "Wouldn't it be Rice to know Beans".

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I'm coming over from bbc. I asked the question there but thought I would ask here too. Can I post a link to your blog on my food storage site? I would post it in the second set of links not the top set.

    ReplyDelete